0 votes

Hi,

When making an outgoing call, in the call window, in bold letters, firstly it says "Calling", then this word is replaced by "Early Media" when, I think, a connection is made.

It doesn't matter who I'm calling. It always displays "Early Media".

When I first saw this I thought it was attempting to display the (wrong) company or person name that I was calling, but clearly this is not the case.

Why is this? Could it not display a more useful/relevant message?

Thanks,

Ross

in Windows by (250 points)

2 Answers

0 votes

Hello,

You can find detailed information what is "Early media', here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3960

Please see the "Introduction" page.

by (34.3k points)

Thanks.

I can see that this page of info you've provided explains more about Early Media - thanks for that.

My question is actually more a UX/UI question to Zoiper themselves. In other words, IMHO, it's a bit "techy" to display this "Early Media" text so prominently when making a call. It suggests that it's very important... when I'm fairly sure it's more of a technical footnote.

Hoping Zoiper can comment.

Thanks all,

Ross

Hello,

You can hear some pre-recorded messages while you are on an "early media" state or even there might be some IVR, thus if we rename the "Early media" to something like "Calling", you might be navigating some IVR system or voice menu while seeing "calling". This would become even more confusing for the users.

0 votes

I've just reviewed the sequence of status messages that Zoiper displays:

1. Calling - when first attempting to make a connection
  2. Early Media - when connected, phone is ringing
  3. Accepted - once the caller picks up, but only momentarily, then disappears.

Given that "Early Media" means nothing to most users, how about:

1. Dialing - when first attempting to make a connection
  2. Calling - when connected, phone is ringing
  3. Accepted or Call Established - once the caller picks up.
by (250 points)
Welcome!
Ask your questions and receive answers from other members of the Zoiper Community.

Did you check our Help Section?

You are a Zoiper Biz or Premium customer? If so, click HERE to get premium support.
2,438 questions
1,541 answers
2,314 comments
135,075 users