0 votes

What is "Open random port above 32000" for? Outgoing in addition to e.g. 5060? Or instead? Do I need forwarded UDP ports above 32000 for that?

And how does this work for RTP?

FMF

closed with the note: discussed in a ticket
in Windows by (230 points)
closed by

Edit: I just saw your other questions.

Random port over 32000 is used when you want to use higher port instead of the default ones to avoid filtering and network issues.
There are separate options for rtp and sip.

So it means instead of e.g. 5060. Then I have to foreward some UDP port above 32000 in my router. Why not specify e.g. 32060 directly?

FMF

Because it is not one port. It's one port per media stream (and a port can already be in use by another application)

If you have 10 calls with video, thats 20 ports.

Also 5060 is rarely used for RTP, that is the default port for sip.

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello,

Generally speaking port filtering is not a good idea.

If you would like to use some specific ports you need to specify them, otherwise it will be a random port over 32000

by (23.9k points)

So this random port above 32000 is for outgoing traffic only? Without SIP ALG enabled in the router no incoming traffic will be possible without explicit port forwarding, right?

Hello,

We usually encourage users to disable SIP ALG.

As I am already following the ticket in our request tracker I am closing this case as it duplicates it.

Welcome!
Ask your questions and receive answers from other members of the Zoiper Community.

Did you check our Help Section?

You are a Zoiper Biz or Premium customer? If so, click HERE to get premium support.
2,438 questions
1,541 answers
2,314 comments
134,139 users