+5 votes

I consider the following foundational issues major design flaws seriously effecting usability:

1. Exporting of locally created or imported (and edited) contacts is not possible
  2. Importing Contacts is a one-way street, as contacts modified in Zoiper cannot be exported
  3. Contacts external to Zoiper (macOS Contacts, Google Contacts) cannot be edited
  4. As external contacts cannot be edited, they cannot be placed as Favorites
  5. Unpredictable behavior when clicking Call on a Contact: If the contact has multiple phone numbers it will display a selection menu, but if the contact has only one phone number, it will be called immediately. Yet the Zoiper Contacts list provides no indication, if multiple phone numbers are present, as only one phone number is displayed (in almost unreadable light gray).
  6. External contacts may have a Contact name as well as a Company name, but only the contact name is shown. Company names are not shown in any view, except when clicking Edit. I expect to see the company name as well.
  7. External contacts which only have a Company name are hidden, if "Hide Contacts without name" is selected. Zoiper should only hide contacts which have neither company name, nor first name or last name.
  8. External contacts do not have a contact image (avatar).

Suggested improvements:
  • Allow external contacts to be edited (syncing back to the source) - this would take care of most of the other issues
  • Allow internal contacts to be exported
  • Give an indication in the Contacts list, that a contact has multiple phone numbers or always dial the number which is displayed in the contacts list (skipping the menu).
  • Display Company name (when present) along Contact name
  • Zoiper should only hide contacts which have neither company name, nor first name or last name, when selecting "Hide Contacts without name"

Please up-vote this request, if you would like to see improvements to the contacts handling in Zoiper!

Edit: moved it to the Mac category where it belongs. Is it any better on Windows?
in Mac by (270 points)
recategorized by

Zoiper5 gets the lemon award as having the worst contact management and worst integration with the OS, when compared with any other paid or free application that has a contact list on my system.

Suggested improvements:
  • Allow external contacts to be edited (syncing back to the source) - this would take care of most of the other issues
  • Allow internal contacts to be exported - this should be easy!
  • Give an indication in the Contacts list, that a contact has multiple phone numbers or always dial the number which is displayed in the contacts list (skipping the menu).
  • Display Company name (when present) along Contact name
  • Zoiper should only hide contacts which have neither company name, nor first name or last name, when selecting "Hide Contacts without name"

Revisiting this issue now after one year and there is no improvement

1. Exporting of locally created, imported or edited contacts is still not possible using 'Zoiper 5 Contact Service' (not even a txt or csv export) - I have lots of contacts now, which I cannot export
  2. Importing Contacts is a one-way street, as contacts modified in Zoiper cannot be exported - thus I use the Mac Adressbook Service instead
  3. Contacts external to Zoiper such as macOS Contacts and Google Contact) cannot be edited - not a big problem, but
  4. As external contacts cannot be edited, they cannot be placed as Favorites - not having Externals as Favorites is really a problem
  5. Unpredictable behavior when clicking Call on a Contact: If the contact has multiple phone numbers it will display a selection menu, but if the contact has only one phone number, it will be called immediately. Yet the Zoiper Contacts list provides no indication, if multiple phone numbers are present, as only one phone number is displayed (in almost unreadable light gray) - nothing has changed and it still annoys me  
  6. External contacts may have a Contact name as well as a Company name, but only the contact name is shown. Company names are not shown in any view, except when clicking Edit. I expect to see the company name as well. - Company name is still missing
  7. External contacts which only have a Company name are hidden, if "Hide Contacts without name" is selected. Zoiper should only hide contacts which have neither company name, nor first name or last name.
  8. External contacts do not have a contact image (avatar).

So I'm not the only one suffering from these mistakes. On the one hand a relief - I no longer need to look for the causes of the flaws or to ponder what I did wrong. On the other hand, it's a shame that the Zoiper people didn't correct anything. chriswayg's suggestions would greatly improve Zoiper!

Please log in or register to answer this question.

Welcome!
Ask your questions and receive answers from other members of the Zoiper Community.

Did you check our Help Section?

You are a Zoiper Biz or Premium customer? If so, click HERE to get premium support.
2,438 questions
1,541 answers
2,314 comments
133,625 users